Kitchen Wall Unit


The kitchen renovation was ambitious. After purchasing SolidWorks CAD with the weldments and sheet metal capabilities, there was little that could not be conquered. Welding would have to be mastered first. These two units were going to provide cupboard space and solve the problem of hanging cupboards (gyprock is obviously not going to hold much, and I did not want to attach them onto the studs). The cupboards would also be off the floor, so it would be easy to clean under.

To the left is one of the wall units. It was painted with Dulux Luxathane (a recoatable epoxy polyurathane). Next to it is a base to hold a 90cm remodelled box for the old oven and top, plus be a space holder for any new 90cm free standing oven. The unit on the right is a mirror copy of the left unit. The long vertical metal profiles and rear frame were to hold glass door cabinets. The intention was to weld the left and right units together, but with a MIG welder inside — not going to happen, and we never did get a TIG welder, so these metal frames were taken to the dump at a much later stage. In between, they were stored in the shed and used for horizontal workspace.

Scrapped metal frame wall units

The right unit still has the metal etch primer before being epoxy coated (not sprayed but used a small roller). The metal etch was sprayed on outside in a make-shift booth.

Meranti frames in place in kitchen

Fairly far down the road, Meranti frames were used for drawer units and vertical supports for glass door cupboards. We will show a few more details below.


Meranti frames

Three frames made out of Meranti for the drawer runners. One is attached to the top of a welding table, the other two on the sides. The welding table was the second one to be made, the first is in the car port. This is outside, but under the roof of the entertainment area. A large sliding door to the left opens up to the rumpus room and kitchen.

The aim was to use decent quality wood and by only placing supports where the drawer runners would screw into, it would be cheaper for any possible volume run (or in a future life).


Meranti frames in place
Meranti frames in place

The frames were connected via a kick board, a horizontal spacer and a rear spacer. The joints were all made with a Festool Domino, plus the vertical supports along the studs were also connected with Dominoes.

In the left photo, the clamps are holding temporary supports for the horizontal shelf, which is being glued (also connected with Dominoes). On the right, a little more detail on the Meranti frame — on it's side.


Drawers being painted

The frames were painted white (epoxy in case there was ever was major water spill in the kitchen). The drawer backs and bases were made from the original Melamine taken out of the old kitchen. They are on top of the frames and being painter with Luxathane.

White counter top before slab

After a visit to the Adelaide Home Show, we ordered some granite tops, so this top was inset for the 50mm overhang when they glue the granite edging. Again, painted with Luxathane.

The frames were connected via a kick board, a horizontal spacer and a rear spacer. The joints were all made with a Festool Domino, plus the vertical supports along the studs were also connected with Dominoes.

In the left photo, the clamps are holding temporary supports for the horizontal shelf, which is being glued (also connected with Dominoes). On the right, a little more detail on the Meranti frame — on it's side.